Sunday, July 5, 2015

Welcome to Pittsburg!

It has been nothing but wonderful since school ended and guiding season has begun in Pittsburg.  I have been all over the place with awesome people and the fishing has not let us down.  In late May we were all worried about our "mini drought" and not having enough water in the system, but by early June we were practically flooded!  I am a huge fan of high water for our rivers up here, so long as they are not blown out.  Luckily for us, we never got to the blown out stage.  With the higher water lots of nice salmon and brown trout entered the river and made for exciting fishing with my "sports."  We carefully waded all of the normal areas as well as moving to places that produce well only in high water situations.  The Trophy Stretch was like a completely different river compared to normal, but in a good way.  I was able to fish stretches of water as if it were the fall salmon season and actually hook up with salmon in the 16-20" range!  We had our Trout Unlimited Kid's Trout Camp once again and I might say without hesitation it was a spectacular group of kids.  We were able to immerse these 14-16 year old young adults into a world of fly fishing that will hopefully carry over for a lifetime of enjoyment.  Through lots of fishing sessions, entomology classes, streamside conservation projects and river shocking with fish and game, we were able to show these kids how much fun this "fly fishing thing" can really be.  I do have a huge amount of optimism for the future of our sport through spending time with these kids each year.  I have been guiding a good amount lately and the water has come down a bit.  With the drop in flows, the fish are a bit more concentrated, but still spread out enough to be able to fish away from crowds for the most part.  I have had the opportunity to also guide some of the outer ponds with my canoe as well.  This has been an absolute blast!  Rising trout on big dry flies can be extremely exciting!  The ponds have been a great way to mix up a day for people.  I am still booking trips at this point for the summer and have some dates available.  If you would like to know my availability please feel free to shoot me an email and I would be happy to send you my dates!  It is perfect up here right now, come on up and enjoy! 

Patrick@fishstoryguideservice.com









No comments:

Post a Comment